Sunday, November 17, 2013

Vanilla Cake Battered Overnight Oats



So, I never buy protein powders. They are too expensive (natural, vegan ones anyway) and I just don't need them.

However, I was curious.

Many people seem to make a lot of good smoothie recipes and such things with flavored protein powders.

One day as I was walked into Whole Foods I saw that they were having a sale: buy a package of raspberries, get a container of Garden of Life's RAW protein powder 50% off.

So, I thought, why not try it?

Well, unfortunately, it was delicious. Unfortunate because I'd never be able to buy it again once it was no longer half off. I'd just have to enjoy it while it lasted. :)

That's when I had an idea.

I had read many recipes that have used cashew butter to achieve a cake batter-like flavor.

I had also been experimenting with different ways to change up my morning oatmeal.

During a human physiology class my thoughts were focused not on how muscle cells use calcium to contract, but on how I could use this new powder to make a delicious dish.

The powder I bought was vanilla-flavored and I just had a feeling that with some oats, cashew butter, and a bit of cinnamon it would taste like vanilla cake batter.

So I went to the store, splurged on some cashew butter, mixed up these ingredients and discovered that I was right!

This recipe is perfect for overnight oats, but can also be eaten immediately after assembly. Of course, it doesn't taste exactly like vanilla cake, but for a healthy (and did I mention sugar-free?) morning breakfast, it comes pretty darn close!


Ingredients:

3/4 cup vanilla almond milk
1/2 cup gluten-free oats
1 Scoop RAW vanilla protein powder
1 Tbs cashew butter
1 Tbs chia seeds or 2 Tbs flax meal (optional if not making overnight oats)
Dash of cinnamon

Instructions:

Mix together all ingredients and place in the fridge overnight or devour straight away because it's just THAT good! Enjoy! :)

Notes:
I no longer promote eating grains, but have left this recipe up for those that choose to.

2 comments:

  1. cool idea and pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you try making it, let me know how you like it! :)

      Delete