Friday, August 16, 2013

Orange's and Tahini Cream


I had just come back from vacation and although getting away is supposed to be restful, it was the opposite. I barely slept the entire week, both because I was kept up late and because I never slept comfortably. Needless to say, I began to feel sick by the time I returned home. I felt a cold coming on.

So I reached for some vitamin C.


We had just bought a bunch of oranges, however oranges have never been my favorite fruit. Oranges and I share a love-hate relationship. I decided,  however, it would be a good idea to have one anyway in attempt to fight my oncoming cold as we did not have any bell peppers. Bell peppers actually have more vitamin C than citrus fruits according to this percentage of vitamin C in bell peppers compared to this percentage of lemons/limes and this one of oranges, though citrus fruits are still a good source.

When I opened the fridge to find the oranges, I also laid eyes upon a new container of plain yogurt, which I had been apart from for a week. I wanted both the oranges and the yogurt.

So I had a thought.

Why not put them together and make a healthy oranges and cream dish?

I was also in the mood for some tahini after recently discovering its exceptional flavor and abilities to enhance many dishes. So I put a spoonful on top of my yogurt just because. I hoped it would add some flavor and protein.


I was right!

This small snack, although definitely differently tasting, was actually pretty good and I have made it several more times.


Ingredients

  • 1 orange
  • 1/2 cup organic, plain, non-fat Greek yogurt (I used Stonyfield's) 
  • 1 spoonful of tahini
Instructions
  1. Scoop yogurt into a small bowl. 
  2. Spoon on tahini. 
  3. Peel orange and separate into slices. 
  4. Dip orange slices into "cream."
  5. Enjoy!

Note:
 I no longer promote consuming dairy, but have left this recipe up for those who choose to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment